• Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Expand All | Collapse All
  • 1. What is the meaning of ACEII – PTRE?

    Africa Center of Excellence in Phytochemicals, Textile and Renewable Energy

    The Africa Center of Excellence in Phytochemicals, Textile and Renewable Energy (PTRE) at Moi University, Kenya focuses on
    MSc. and PhD training, mentorship, short courses and research in areas of textiles, industrial engineering, phytochemicals and
    renewable energy. Inadequacy in personnel with advanced training in this areas/sector hinders fast industrialization of Kenya. This sector is key to improving the manufacturing sector which currently contributes to only 10% of Kenyan Gross Domestic Product. By the end of the project cycle, the Center would have;

    • Admitted and trained 30 PhD and 60 MSc students in areas of manufacturing involving Analytical Chemistry, Textiles, Industrial Engineering and Renewable Energy
    • Enhanced learning environment by improving teaching, research facilities and ICT upgrading
    • Re-tooled faculty in curriculum delivery and supervision.
    • Improved industrial and private sector linkage with stakeholders to offer more internship places for students
    • Offered extension and outreach services to the community
    • Held annual meetings with partners to discuss project progress and evaluation
    • Undertaken joint publications with partners
    • Organized for student and staff exchange activities
    • Embraced the use of visiting members of faculty who are based in the diaspora and other adjunct professors.
    Was this answer helpful ? Yes / No
  • 2. If I want to study in the PTRE Center. What should I do?

    The Center offers limited postgraduate scholarships for Masters (MSc) and Doctorate (PhD) to highly deserving students on a competitive basis. The scholarships are offered to both national and regional students in the following fields: Analytical Chemistry (MSc and Ph.D), Materials & Textile Engineering (Ph.D), Industrial Engineering (MSc), Textile Engineering (MSc), and Renewable Energy (Msc and Ph.D). Doctorate (Ph.D) scholarships will be awarded for a maximum of three years (36 months) while Masters (MSc) scholarships will be awarded for a maximum of two years (24 months). To qualify for the Scholarship you should have met the criteria for the University admissions and then apply for the Scholarship when advertised. Visit the University website for more information on application.

    Was this answer helpful ? Yes / No
  • 3. When is the application?

    The application for the Scholarships is as per the University calendar. When the Schools advertise for the Programme.

    Was this answer helpful ? Yes / No
  • 4. Where do I pay for the Scholarship fee?

    Branch: ELDORET
    Swift Code: KCBLKENX
    Account Number: 1202447163

    Was this answer helpful ? Yes / No
  • 5. Am I required to pay for the University application?

    Yes. You will be required to pay Kshs. 2000 for the application to the University. Scholarship fee is different i.e. Kshs. 2000 also.

    Was this answer helpful ? Yes / No
  • 6. Is there an allowance offered at the Center?

    The Center offers an upkeep allowance, full fees, research fund and accommodation for the regional students. For the National students they are offered full fees and research funds only.

    Was this answer helpful ? Yes / No
  • 7. How many degree programmes can I apply for?

    We do not have limitation on how many programmes you can apply for. Please note that when applying, you must submit as many sets of officially certified educational documents for the programmes you are applying to, i.e. a separate set of documents for each programme. Also note that the degree programmes may have programme-specific enclosure requirements and therefore you should prepare to collect different application documents for different degree programmes.

    Was this answer helpful ? Yes / No
  • 8. Can I apply if I have not graduated yet?

    You can apply to some programmes even if you have not yet graduated. This depends on the programme, so always check the website . If you have not graduated by the time the application period for the programme begins, you are required to submit an officially certified copy of your latest transcript of records. Please note that the transcript of records must include the name of the degree you will be awarded when you graduate (Bachelor of, Master of, etc.). If your transcript of records does not include the name of the degree, you must submit officially certified educational documents where the name of the degree is stated or an official statement issued by the awarding institution explaining this.

    If you receive the degree certificate and the final transcript of records during the application period, it is recommended that you submit them as well. You should point out the anticipated graduation date on the application and submit the documents you have when you apply. Do not wait to receive your degree certificate if it is not available during the application period. Depending on the programme you are applying to, you may also be required to submit a statement from your home institution in English, Finnish or Swedish, stating the expected date of graduation.


    Was this answer helpful ? Yes / No
  • 9. Where will I get information on the admission results?

    You will be notified by the Center or the University

    Was this answer helpful ? Yes / No